>> 7 Oct 2004

HEARTS AND MINDS.



Did anyone watch H&M last evening? I thought it to be an interesting programme;

The Daphne Trimble interview was like watching a car crash. I think Noel Thompson felt pity for her as she stumbled through a series of cliches about how Lagan Valley was an "Ulster Unionist" constituency. This lady has no chance whatsoever of even getting half of the vote that will accrue to Jeffrey Donaldson and whilst she seems a nice enough person - so did Eva Braun from all reports.



The changing scene at the Irish News and the Newsletter was also reviewed. I though Austin Hunter and Noel Doran both spoke well, and unlike the BBC reporter, I feel both papers contribute to our daily new reporting and anaylsis. The Sun and the Mirror are both rags and I couldn't care less how many copies are sold here - they do nothing for Northern Ireland.



I will leave Danny Morrison's "If You Ask Me" to one side - other than to point out that a 3 minute rant against one Party is easy to write, no matter how many clever little references are thrown in. Nice jacket though.



Finally, there was a spirited debate about the future of local Councils. A wild-eyed wild-haired Councillor from North Down made several good points about why the Government-inspired proposals to shrink the Council base from 26 down to 7 are seriously misguided. That said, local Councils, it seems to me, are zoos stacked with power-hungry morons - though had I been elected to one clearly that would have all changed!!!



H&M is always worth a view - I think producer Mary Kelly does a great job.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back to TOP