>> 14 Mar 2004

TAKE FIVE.



Having written about nothing but black topics in recent days, I decided to entirely change the subject and talk about five great songs which I have been listening to this past week.



1. “It’s Over” by Roy Orbison. What a great singer, a tremendous lyric, and an enduring song. I think Bono described Roy Orbison as having the voice of an angel. For once, Bono and I are in full agreement. Orbison had such a tough life, and yet on songs like this he transcends suffering. Superb.

2. “Hurt” by Johnny Cash. Again, a painful but thoughtful lyric and a truly awesome delivery from the man in black. This was his swan song before he left us, and it is memorable.

3. “Complete Control” by The Clash. Fantastic release of rock and roll energy. The guitars come crashing in, the drum beat rocks, and Joe Strummer is at his majestic best.

4. “In these Shoes” by Kirsty MacColl. My favourite female singer. This song is sensuous, musically colourful, and a great laugh. Kirsty was the best, the most talented, the wittiest, and - the best looking!

5. “You Bow down” by Elvis Costello and the Attractions. A superb Byrds pastiche, with Elvis in top lyrical form and the Attractions playing at full tilt. In this form, no one ever came close.



You know having just written this, I noticed that four out of the five singers I like are dead. I must be getting old.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back to TOP